Saturday, June 25, 2011

Al-Andaluz (Andalucía): Land of the Vandals

I just got back from probably what was the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. El Alcazar and La Mezquita en Córdoba and La Alhambra and La Catedral en Granada. La Mezquita was so beautiful. There were so many columns and it was very tranquil. What is neat about it is that it was once a mosque and now it is a Catholic Cathedral.
Granada, Granada, Granada, te amo. Granada was absolutely beautiful. La Alhambra is a huge fortress, castle, and city all in one. It´s been around for over 900 years. It was used by the Catholic Kings and the Arab Califas for centuries. Granada was the last Muslim stronghold in Spain at the end of the Reconquista and it was there that the Muslims gave up their power in Spain. Also, we went to the Cathedral. How come there is nothing that magnificent in the United States? It was fairly new, built in 1687. The Cathedral I go to was built in 1013 I believe. The last place we went to was the Real Capilla de los Reyes Católicos. I got to see where Ferdinand, Isabella, Felipe el Hermoso and Juana la Loca are buried. If you don´t know who Ferdinand and Isabella are, they funded Columbus´ voyage to America. You can thank them for our great nation. Juana la Loca was their daughter and she was married to Felipe. She was crazy because of all the centuries of incest within the royal family. With that being said, everyone is in my prayers, and I hope all of you are doing well.

¿De dónde eres?
¡Andalucía, OLE!

1 comment: